Tuesday, March 29, 2016

6 Benefits of Group Exercise Classes

Are group exercise classes effective?

When beginning the healthier lifestyle journey, it can be daunting to enter the gym alone. Gym intimidation is real and can stunt health goals. That is where group exercise classes come in to rescue the day and your health goals.

While joining an group exercise class can have its own level of intimidation, the atmosphere is motivating, fun, and a reminder that the journey to healthier lifestyle is not a lonely road. Group exercise classes can provide a different kind of social group and create a sense of accountability to attending the classes.

Sue Parke, from Active.com shares her thoughts on group exercise classes, "Joining a class can help build a foundation and structure that you can use to fuel your personal healthy journey for years to come." +ACTIVE

I have participated in group exercise classes for all three years of my college experience. Through these classes, I have learned a lot about myself and why these classes are beneficial for me. With the help of Sue Parke's article, I have listed 6 benefits of taking group exercise classes.


6 benefits of taking group exercise classes:




Motivation


There is a strange sense of motivation from being surrounded by dedicated people with the similar goals. Nothing is more encouraging than having an inspiring instructor and encouraging members all pushing each other to a healthier lifestyle and achieving their goals.

Structure


Sue Parke mentions the easiness of attending a class that already has the warm-up, a quality workout, and the cool down already planned. For me, I enjoy that I don't have to calculate how long my breaks needs to be and to focus on pushing myself and not what I'll be doing next.





Proper Form 


It is a common problem for people with in-proper form to get injured while working out and with previous injuries, the chance of injury can increase. Having a well-trained instructor can help prevent injury and teach proper form for future years. Personally, I have had muscle injuries in the past so it is beneficial and safer for me to be taught proper form so I don't hurt myself in future.


Variety


Sue Parke mentions the effectiveness of participating in multiple, different type of exercise classes to keep muscles guessing and speed up your metabolism in anticipation. Different classes will be offered depending on the gym and athletic clubs. For me, I tend to stick to
the same things when I'm on my own so taking a class


Accountability


When participating in the same classes every week, getting to know the instructor, and fellow classmates, the expectation to attend with increase. Scheduling the classes into daily routine is another way of keeping on top of your gym/athletic clubs attendance and your progress to a healthier lifestyle. For me, it is harder to skip an exercise class when I know the instructor is knows my name and looking for my participation.


Fun 


Group classes are just plain fun, both Sue Parke and I agree. The upbeat music, motivating people, and quality workout is a great way to have get rid of gym intimidation and enjoy exercising. I recommend to stay focused on yourself and your progress and ignore the looks coming from the exterior of the exercise class.












Do YOU do a group exercise class? Comment Below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment