Thursday, January 14, 2016

Disappointment Allows Growth


Southern Utah University's Greek community conducted their semi-annual Rush Week this week, January 11-15, 2016.

There are four active Greek organizations; Alpha Phi (sorority), Delta Psi Omega (sorority), Sigma Chi (fraternity), and Chi Phi (fraternity). SUU's Greek life allows students various leadership opportunities, service in their communities, fundraising for charities, and belonging to something bigger than themselves.

Sorority Ever After defines 'rush week' is a process of open and invited events for potential new members and the organization to  mutually select new members.


For the first half of this week I had the opportunity to rush Alpha Phi. I learned a lot about myself, the members of Alpha Phi and what Alpha Phi stands for as an international Greek organization.

  • There is no need to compare myself with others. We each are beautiful, quirky, and shouldn't be ashamed to show that to others. 
  • Being part of a sorority is more than a being in the social upper-class. It is a opportunity for personal growth, the building of skills, and bettering the community. 
  • Every sister in Alpha Phi is kind, unique, and an example of their six values. 
  • A sorority can become a home away from home and provide individuals with the support and encouragement they need during college.
  • Potential members can be influenced by the sorority's examples and values, even if they don't get to join that rush week. 

Unfortunately, I won't get the opportunity to join Alpha Phi this semester because I was not invited to their Thursday evening activity. Alpha Phi's directors were respectful and kind when informing me and the Alpha Phi sisters were still kind and friendly to me while in passing. But I was still disappointed.

The waves of disappointment crashed various times during the day, a lot harder than I anticipated. Subconsciously I had grown more fond of the idea of being part of Alpha Phi, having that large support group, and expanding my experiences in leadership and service.


Tiny Buddha author, Raeeka writes how disappointment can be one of the most "uncomfortable feelings" and some 4 Steps to Deal with Disappointment.

  • Let it out -- Don't bottle up your confusing emotions because what you are feeling is okay. You are allowed to experience those emotions. 
  • Get some perspective -- Give the situation time to relax without pushing yourself. 
  • Know your heart -- Don't forget about your values and make the choice on how you'll react. You have the power to over disappointment. 
  • Practice Acceptance -- Understand that life will always have disappointments while still noticing the good things in life. 

As for me, the waves of disappointment will probably continue to crash for the remainder of the week and into next week. I will allow myself to be disappointed, to be hurt, to grieve, and to cry. Then I will allow myself to be happy, to be kind, and to try again.


The opportunity to rush Alpha Phi helped me acknowledge my confidence within, embrace the uniqueness of me, meet sweet people, and support the expression of my values in my daily actions. So while I will be sad, it will still be a great day.


2 comments: